Great Gatsby "Love" Triangle

"The fact that he had one [a mistress] was insisted upon wherever he was known. His acquaintances resented the fact that he turned up in popular restaurants with her and, leaving her at a table, sauntered about, chatting with whomever he knew" (2.3-4).




What I was thinking...

You want to know what was I thinking when I cheated on Daisy with Myrtle? Quite honestly I was thinking it wouldn't really stir much conflict. In all honesty, why is it an issue? Who are my personal affairs truly affecting? I am a man in need of constant adventure and excitement. It is what keeps me motivated in life. Take for instance my college years, where some may say I "peaked" in my golden days playing football for Yale. Regardless, you can only imagine my extravagant adventures during that point in my life. Once I settled down with Daisy, the thrill of first love began to die down and my life quickly lost the excitement it once withheld. In this situation, I was thinking there is nothing wrong with a harmless affair. I am a man who thrives on attention. After the marriage, Daisy started to become too comfortable around me. I lost the feeling that she was as passionately lustful for me as she used to. And so naturally, I sought after the attention of another woman. I figured I could enjoy my beautiful wife and the wonderful life we have built together, but when I become bored and she stops satisfying my every desire I can have Myrtle satisfy my unfulfilled needs. Can you blame me? Daisy should be so beyond grateful for the extravagant life no other man could even begin to provide for her. In some ways, Daisy owes this to me. If I feel our marriage becomes stagnant, I have the right to seek attention from other women. That is what I was thinking when I began this affair. 

What I was feeling... 

To be frank, I began cheating on Daisy because I was feeling dissatisfaction. I wasn't receiving the attention from Daisy that I rightfully deserve. Even though Daisy and I had been wed and I possessed her all to myself, I was feeling lonely and almost, in some ways, I was feeling bored. Like I stated earlier, I am a man who thrives off of attention and excitement. I was feeling as though Daisy had become too comfortable around me and she wasn't acting as though she had to impress me for my love every moment of every day. So rightfully, I sought after that sort of attention from another woman. Daisy was making me feel like I wasn't good enough for her. And I know that I am perfectly suitable for any and every woman. I was feeling disrespected in a way. I had heard the things she was saying on our wedding day. I was well aware of her doubts in this relationship, and I can't lie, that hurt me a little bit. Nevertheless, she married me and therefor, she is obligated to provide me with the attention I desire every waking moment of every day. 
I had also been feeling a sense of jealousy. I could have cut off my affair with Myrtle but more recently, I had been hearing constant rumors about Gatsby pursuing my wife. Whether or not that was true, something was up with Daisy and I didn't like it. Someone was always trying to contact her on the telephone. She always seemed to sneak away from me at parties. And overall, her demeanor had changed and she was acting very suspicious. And so, out of jealousy, I continued pursuing Myrtle. If Daisy can have her secrets so can I.

Why I...

I will cut to the chase. I cheated on Daisy with Myrtle because I can. I don't mean to come off as arrogant, but I am Tom Buchanan for Christ's sake. If I want to engage in a harmless affair, I sure as hell have the right. More specifically however, I cheated on Daisy due to a combination of the way I was feeling and the things I was thinking. I was experiencing a sense of boredom, dissatisfaction, lust for something more and quite honestly a little jealousy. I cheated on Daisy because I am a man who needs constant attention. Whether or not you think what I did was mortally correct, it was necessary. I thrive off of adventure. A woman who depends on me for her every waking need is what wakes me up in the morning. I was simply feeling as though Daisy was moving on from me. She seemed to be becoming too comfortable in our relationship as every day passed. And I simply cannot have that. The glorious life I provide for her is one she could not dream of being provided from any other man. The least she can do is win over my love and attention every day just like when we first met. That's the least she owes me for all I have done for her. And so I cheated on Daisy because I wanted something more. It was a simple and harmless solution, really. When I would feel a sense of dissatisfaction in my relationship with Daisy I would travel out to the Valley of Ashes, where Myrtle lives. I would pursue this affair with Myrtle for a while and when I was ready, I would return home, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. No harm, no foul if I say so. 








Comments

Popular Posts